Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween

Operation Halloween 2011 = Success!

I love Halloween. This is actually a new love of mine. I love the cute kids in their cute costumes, I love the yummy and creative food, I love the trick-or-treating... I love the tradition at our house. I did not grow up where Halloween was a big deal. We did not go trick-or-treating- usually there was a fall festival at our church and I remember dressing up a few times. It's all I knew, and I never grew up feeling like I missed out. It was actually pretty fun. Mark, however, did grow up with Halloween being a big deal, so when our kids came along, he was pumped about it. I was thinking "What's the big deal?". Well, now I know. It is so much fun. :)

I think in every family, holidays are what you make them. You being mom and dad. When Bella was born, her first Halloween started off pretty small. Small being, she wore a pumpkin hat and we took her picture. :) But each year, we've added a little something to the celebration, and this year was awesome!
We love having our family over on Halloween. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and this year, a few friends came as well. Lots of pictures are taken and lots of food is consumed. We always order pizza, and this year, thanks to my friend I call Pinterest, we also had salted caramel popcorn balls, rice krispie treats on a stick, caramel apple bites, witch hat cookies, toasted pumpkin seeds, and pretzel hug candy corn treats. I don't think I got one picture of all the food, but it sure was yummy. And thank you to Brenna for bringing the awesome pretzel sticks covered in almond bark. They were so good!

Here are a few pictures from this year's festivities...



We took Bella to the doctor on the day of her school party. She had a really bad cold and allergies but was heartbroken that she was going to miss her party. So, I ran her up there so she could participate. She was completely miserable... it was so sad. (I know it looks like I am the mom who brought her sick kid to school, and I kind of did, but it was for 20 minutes and she didn't touch anybody, so no judgement :) They had to dress up as what they wanted to be when they grew up, and she chose a nurse. So I made her up a costume that cost me about $1. :)


Carving our pumpkin





Washing the pumpkin seeds so we could toast them

Jack the Cowboy (minus a nap)


"Pippi Longstocking is coming into your world,
A freckled faced red head girl,
You wanna know,
She'll turn your life into a whirl."

Anybody remember Pippi? I grew up LOVING Pippi, and a couple of years ago I found the original movie in one of those $5 movie bins. I was so excited. I was even more excited when my daughter fell in love with Pippi too and wanted to be her for Halloween this year.

Cutest Pippi Ever!
She's holding Alfonzo the horse and Mr. Neilson the monkey, both of whom are Pippi's pets.

Costume made by yours truly for roughly $8. And most importantly, Bella loved it. :)

Trick-or-treating with friends and cousins

Starting in on the candy right away


She loved trick-or-treating this year!


Our neighborhood is CRAZY busy on Halloween. It's pretty cool how many families in the neighborhood participate in the festivities (as well as all the people who literally bus kids into our neighborhood just to trick-or-treat). So, we have to leave some adults behind to pass out candy. This year we had over 100 trick-or-treaters and went through 6 big bags of candy. Wow! It was greatness.

Sweet little mermaid

Assessing the loot

A happy and tired Pippi :)

So there you have it. Can't wait for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment