Monday, April 1, 2013

No T.V. What?!

We are starting our fifth week of no T.V./ screen time... basically any rectangular electronic screen that you can look at {television, iPad, computer, phones}.

I've been wanting to take a break from T.V. for some time now, but I was pretty apprehensive. What was I going to do with them when they started to drive me crazy? No T.V.? What?! How in the world would I get through the "witching hour" without mindless entertainment for my kids? How would I ever get dinner made if they couldn't watch a movie?

* witching hour: it's the hour(s) after naps but before dinner that for whatever reason the kids are restless, whiny, and bored. Moms, you know what I'm talking about.

It's silly really. But true. I didn't know how it was going to go, but Mark and I both knew our family needed a change. A change from the regular routine of our days. A change from how we were spending our time. So we went for it. And it has rocked our world.

Seriously. This is not an anti-t.v. post. It's really not. I just had to share the changes we have seen in our entire family because every week that goes by, Mark and I are amazed. Every week.

We were a pretty moderate T.V. watching family I think. We monitored it, weren't super strict about it, liked family movie time, etc. The kids always had to ask to watch something... sometimes we said yes, sometimes no. Like I said, moderate.

But I was tired of the T.V. fight. They whined about wanting to watch something, they whined if I said no, and they whined if I said yes because now they couldn't agree on what to watch. When they were watching something, they would end up sitting too close to each other and start whining about someone being too close. Ahhh!

So, we decided to take a week off from any screen time. And we haven't stopped. One week has turned into five weeks. That is how big a difference we have seen.

So, what has happened?

The kids are more content, less bored, more creative, and less agitated. It's crazy really.

They just play and play and play ALL day. The weather has been beautiful for a month now, and they are spending hours outside everyday. They go out without suggestion. They play together willingly. Just drift off to one of their rooms and play. Nicely! Even as I type this, I am still in disbelief at the change we have seen in them.

They are by no means perfect. :) Ha! They still argue, whine, tattle... but it is significantly less. Like a lot less.

Mark and I have had many brainstorming sessions as to why this is happening. We've had several ideas.

The first is that we have eliminated just one more choice in their day. By eliminated an "activity", they are more content. It's the idea of less is more. When you give them fewer choices, they are actually happier. Just like with their toys. When they have so many, they can't ever decide what to play with, so they just complain about having nothing to do. There's too many choices.

It reminds me of myself when Mark asks me where I want to eat. I am too overwhelmed by the choices. But give me two places to choose from, and that is less intimidating.

By taking the option of screen time away from their list of daily activities, we are actually simplifying things in their little world. They are not thinking about what they can't do, but more of what there is to do. They look around and make a choice. It's their choice.

Another idea is that they are more in practice of how to self-entertain. When you're out of practice, you have a difficult time doing it. But it's becoming more normal to them, so they are less bored.

It's also creating a lot more family time. What kid doesn't love that?

Here are a few things they've been up to since no screen time...

Painting, warrior face painting, and playing with sticks (and bricks that have been removed since) :)


Reading by himself with a stack of books. Jack has always liked books but has never really loved books. This is changing.

Created her own Terabithia. We just finished the book Bridge to Terabithia, so with trash bags , a stick, and a scarf, she transformed into a queen with her prince on a leash. :)

And here are her two trusty guards to her kingdom.

Playing Candyland... another activity that wasn't Jack's favorite.

These are a few examples of what we are seeing on a daily basis. Our days have become easier. Not perfect but a little lot more content. They will still ask about watching a movie every now and then. Or I'll catch one of them with my phone. But for the most part, we haven't had a lot of objections to this new rule. They are adapting to it. Kids do that pretty well you know. :)

So, why did I write this? To picket against t.v.? To show how perfect still flawed our days are? No.

I wrote it to encourage any of you who may have been thinking about cutting back or eliminating an activity in your life that you feel like you need a break from. Because like I said before, when you eliminate choices in life, life seems to get easier. Simpler. And I do think screen time is an activity that most of us (myself included) could use a little less of. Especially for kids. They have way too much energy and creativity to not use.

So, I encourage you! Don't be irritated with me. Please. :) And I promise you can tell me you're kids watch t.v., and I won't shoot judging darts at you. Um... that would be so hypocritical and ugly of me. :) Seriously.

We NEVER thought that our decision would be indefinite. But we also can't imagine losing this new dynamic of our home. It's been so eye opening. I'd be lying if I said there weren't days that I really want to put on a movie. I'm human. :) We'll still throw in a movie every now and then because well... there are some really cool movies out there, and the kids like watching them. :) But we are trying to make it a really special treat when it does happen.

And we're learning to get used to a new normal.


"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life."
1 Thes. 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment