Take all the descriptions I have given to Bella over the years, multiply the intensity of those descriptions by nine and you have a good idea of what this girl is like.
Let's start with...
E X T R O V E R T.
No. It would be more like...
E X T R E M E E X T R O V E R T.
She will talk to ANYONE! Any place. Any time. No age stipulations. Boy or girl? It matters not. Not only will she talk to anyone, she needs to talk to people. Like truly, it is a high need that she needs met.
Let me speak honestly for a moment. I struggle with this. The struggle became the strongest this past year. I love my girl so much I can feel it in my chest. But I simply don't have the conversational capacity to meet her daily need for verbal interaction. I don't. I am not a person that needs to talk. I'm actually the opposite. Being quiet and introspective is what helps me get through my day. Talking about all the feelings in all the world is what helps her get through her day. :) I struggle (a lot) with guilt... Why am I so frustrated with her? Why do I always feel like she is driving me crazy? Why is my patience so thin with her? Why am I not enough for her needs? When you have one daughter and you feel disconnected from her on many levels, it gives you reason for deep disappointment. Not in her. In myself.
But you know what I've learned on a new level this year? I am not enough for her because there is only one that can meet ALL her needs. Jesus. I shouldn't ever expect to be her perfect parent. She already has one. And needing Him to fill in all of my gaps makes me cling to Him even tighter. God is so gracious and faithful. And my girl is also full of grace. She always forgives me when I ask. She always still wants to talk to me after I snap at her. And she continues to say things like, "Mom, I always want to talk to you about everything. I always want to be honest with you."
She is more than I deserve. She is nothing like I could have imagined. She is so much that I am not. I need her as much as she needs me.
If you have a child that is more difficult for you to connect with than your other kiddos,
p e r s e v e r e. It is very on purpose that you are that child's parent. There is much to learn from that young one. So many places that the Lord wants to grow you. That relationship is worth fighting for. Always.
So Bella. My extrovert. My talker. My deep thinker. My highly mature and capable girl.
We have some family members that have a slogan... "Bella for President!" HA!
But she really could do it. She is confident, smart, discerning, diplomatic, empathetic, self-motivated, a risk-taker, a goal setter, a go-getter.
We still stress humility with her. Seriously. Be smart and confident. But don't be a know-it-all. Don't be a bragger. Don't be a show-off. BE HUMBLE. Be a good friend. Seek out the shy kids that look like they don't have a friend. Be kind. Be respectful.
We are like a broken record around here. :)
We love our girl so much. I could write on her all day. She makes us so proud. I just can hardly wait to see what she does with the rest of her life.
Oh, and even though my above descriptions of her are obviously indicative of a leader, it still surprised us when she came home her very first first day of school and told us she had been chosen as her class ambassador. You go girl! Humbly, of course. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment