La Grange: peaceful, pretty, tents, fishing, walks, bluebonnets, berries, cows, rocks, bridges, docks, paddle boat, special. These are a few of the words that come to mind when I think about La Grange. La Grange is a small town in Texas where Mark's grandfather's land is. We often refer to it as Grandpa's Land.
I first heard about La Grange 16 years ago. I had a big time crush on the cutest boy in all of junior high. He wrote letters to me that summer about his grandpa's land and what a very special place it was to him. I still remember how upset he was about a gas well going up on the land. That next year, he took me to the "family campout", a spring tradition where as much family that can make it comes out for the weekend to camp and be together. I remember that trip being a very busy one. I fished out of every pond, walked on every dock, saw his favorite trees, went on lots of walks, looked in all the bird boxes, and met lots of family. I felt really special because I could sense what a truly special place it was. And not just anybody was asked out there. I was hooked, so I married the boy and have gone back multiple times every year. :-)
This year was the first time we braved all four of us in a tent. It was... well, an experience. The kids actually did really well- it just took them awhile to settle down and fall asleep. Once asleep though, they stayed asleep. Camping is soooo much work (esp. with the kiddos) but well worth it and so much fun.
One thing I love to watch is Mark showing his kids the land than he hopes they will love as much as he does. Bella and Mark fished all day Saturday with her cousin Kale. They are the best of buds.
Jack and I tagged along when we could. He loved climbing on top of the paddle boat and throwing rocks into the water with his cousin Macy. Then both of them enjoyed a much needed nap. :-)
Bella and her second cousin (maybe, not really sure) Caroline enjoyed a very refreshing swim in the pond. Seaweed and all!
We go to spend time with lots of loved ones and had a fantastic time. Here are a few pictures of this and that.
 |
| Finished swimming |
 |
| Some of the crew under the pavilion |
 |
| Macy and Megan |
 |
| Uncle Mark and Grandpa |
 |
| Cousins |
 |
| Uncle Tommy made Bella's night with a tub of worms. |
 |
| Say cheese Jack! |
 |
| Grammy and Macy |
 |
| Ben and Belinda |
We ended our last day with some wonderful praise time and reflection. We also couldn't leave before we fed the cows! Oh, and we had to fit the boat ride in too.
Being in La Grange rejuvenates the soul and is an awesome reminder of God's spectacular creation.
No comments:
Post a Comment