Thursday, November 8, 2012

Days

I've had a few bad challenging days. When you come out on the other side of them, it feels so... what's the word... nice, humbling, refreshing. What's my definition of challenging though? Because everyone's perspective of a difficult day is different. For me it is sick kids, exhaustion, frustration, irritability, self-pity. When one day is rough, and then the next day is the same, and the next, and it doesn't seem to get better. What remains steadfast during these days though?
Our Lord's kindness. His faithfulness. His presence. His love. His Word.
The strength of our faith is tested during "bad" days... our true character is exposed in the hard moments of the day. How did I do this week? I failed sometimes. I pushed through and sought strength above my own at other times. And I read this verse a lot.

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast."      1 Peter 5:10

I love this. Will Himself restore you. So encouraging. and true. and powerful.

Deep down I know that my days were so incredibly blessed when I compare them to what so many are suffering through in this world. Perspective. It is encouraging and humbling to remember that He cares.

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."     Lamentations 3:22

As I look back at the week, it is easier to see those compassions and mercies.

My sweet Jack was having trouble breathing last week. It was starting to get really scary. I knew something wasn't right. I met Mark at Cooks with him. Diagnosis: pneumonia.








The mercies we saw were... amazing nurses and doctors, immediate medicine, supportive family, lots of prayers, and a reminder that our boy was going to be just find. We were in a hospital with the sickest of the sick kids. And our boy was not one of them.

A few days later was Halloween. Such a fun day! Costumes, good food, family, and friends.




Science teacher, Aunt Megan, brought dry ice. They loved it.



This little guy has had the worst case of teething any of my children have ever experienced. So sad. This has been his "condition" going on 4 days now.




It's pitiful. We've gone through Tylenol, Motrin, numbing gel, teething tablets... just trying anything to relieve his pain.
So what's the worst part? The fact that is a very healthy baby? Or the fact that he loves me unconditionally and just needs to be held 24/7? Why is it so difficult to have that perspective when you're swimming in exhaustion? Things really aren't as terrible as my mind makes them out to be sometimes.

Mark was gone hunting this weekend, and the Lord really worked on my heart and attitude as I cared for the kids and tried to support him as well. He loves hunting, and the kids and I were really pulling for him to get a deer. For several reasons. One being, it would make him happy. Second, the kids love to be a part of it when he gets home. And third... well, let's just be honest here... if he gets one his first trip out, he doesn't have to keep going. :) A tad selfish, yes. But honest.

Well, he got one!


And we were SO happy. We had been praying for Daddy all weekend. And now our freezer will be full all winter.



It's in the tough days that we grow the most. And while it's not fun, it's worth it. Because we come out more dependent on Christ and less on ourselves.


"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  2 Cor 12:9


No comments:

Post a Comment